Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
JAS, typical time on tire from Trackside tires?

It depends on whether the tires are in the warehouse, on a truck, or on their way from Europe. First case is they'll usually ship out next business day, second is you might have to wait a week or two, and third is up to Pirelli. I've had all three cases happen in less than a year so you might want to shoot an email to support (Alex) and ask, or just get them on order ASAP.

Last edited:

bmart

Worth keeping a spare set at all time. You never know! I've seen many punctures at track days and you want a spare ready to go.

boike333

So I know there’s some bike riders here. I am looking to up my game and I think I am going to go with an entry level mountain bike, like a hybrid mountain and street bike. BUT, what do y’all do in the winter? Not really wanting to ride at night in the cold and dark. Anyone have an indoor cycle they use? Any information on your training on this would be helpful.

JustAnotherSquid

Wall of words incoming!

I hate road bikes. They are uncomfortable to ride and stiff as a board. I couldn't sell the ones I bought fast enough.

I have a hybrid that I only use on-road. It would be miserable off-road. Most cyclists will say it's dumb to ride a bike with flat bars and suspension forks and bigger tires on road because it just adds weight and slows you down. I don't care. I want a smoother ride because I'm old and I'm not trying to go fast. I'm just trying to get exercise and you can do that just as well on a twenty pound bike as you can on a twelve pound bike (I actually have no idea how much our hybrid bikes weigh).

We also have two "cruisers" and love them although they are both top-of-the-line models.

As for mountain bikes, I started on a cheap hard-tail and quickly realized hard-tails suck no matter what everyone says. (See comments about weight, comfort, and exercise above.) After going through several iterations of mountain bikes following other people's advice, I ended up on a carbon-fiber full-suspension enduro-style mountain bike which absolutely no one recommended for the trails around here but which was exactly what I was looking for.

Everything I said goes for KK too. She went through the same journey as me with the same results as me except for one: she ended up on a full-suspension cross-country mountain bike.

This next part is definitely experience talking: you get what you pay for. Go cheap, get cheap. Spend more, get a better bike that is more fun to ride. As you move up in price you get better brakes and shifters and those are things that you notice every single time you ride your bike.

JMHO and YMMV and all that.

Oh, and we also have a Diamondback stationary bike in front of a TV in one of the bedrooms that I ride three or four times per week.

Last edited:

boike333

Wall of words incoming!

I hate road bikes. They are uncomfortable to ride and stiff as a board. I couldn't sell the ones I bought fast enough.

I have a hybrid that I only use on-road. It would be miserable off-road. Most cyclists will say it's dumb to ride a bike with flat bars and suspension forks and bigger tires on road because it just adds weight and slows you down. I don't care. I want a smoother ride because I'm old and I'm not trying to go fast. I'm just trying to get exercise and you can do that just as well on a twenty pound bike as you can on a twelve pound bike (I actually have no idea how much our hybrid bikes weigh).

We also have two "cruisers" and love them although they are both top-of-the-line models.

As for mountain bikes, I started on a cheap hard-tail and quickly realized hard-tails suck no matter what everyone says. (See comments about weight, comfort, and exercise above.) After going through several iterations of mountain bikes following other people's advice, I ended up on carbon-fiber full-suspension enduro-style mountain bike which absolutely no one recommended for the trails around here but which was exactly what I was looking for.

Everything I said goes for KK too. She went through the same journey as me with the same results as me except for one: she ended up on a full-suspension cross-country mountain bike.

This next part is definitely experience talking: you get what you pay for. Go cheap, get cheap. Spend more, get a better bike that is more fun to ride. As you move up in price you get better brakes and shifters and those are things that you notice every single time you ride your bike.

JMHO and YMMV and all that.

Oh, and we also have a Diamondback stationary bike in front of a TV in one of the bedrooms that I ride three or four times per week.
LOL, yea I didn’t think it would be too hard to get info from this group! Now let’s see if Andy is longer winded than you. I will read this and reply throughout my busy day!

JustAnotherSquid

We bought it from Amazon in 2016 when it went on sale. I had to wait a while for that to happen but we got it for $150 off if I remember correctly. It's a recumbent style.

811ROOgObSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

AndyMX47

Get whatever kind of bike you think you want - mountain, road, hybrid. Depends where you think you want to ride, and what your budget is.

Because I am an addict, I have a racing road bike, gravel bike (road bike that is beefy and can fit big tires) a carbon hard tail mountain bike, and a cheap old road bike on a trainer. I have ridden the gravel bike on all of the mountain bike trails around Charlotte with no issues, BUT.....if you want squishy suspension and have the $$$, bikes like Eric's are really fun. I will say that going really fast on the carbon hard tail definitely beats you up. I went from full suspension to the hard tail to gain some speed in short races. Long races, or rough terrain FS is definitely "better", but I'm too cheap to pay for it.

Here's a pic attached of the old road bike inside on a trainer that I ride when I am in a hurry, too lazy to drive to a ride, or its cold or raining or dark out. A cheap used magnetic or fluid trainer works fine, and will work with whatever bike you really like - I can help you sort it out. If you do end up with a mountain bike, you would want a less aggressive rear tire for the trainer, the knobbies would make a ton of noise. Some people get a $10 used rear wheel with a trainer tire if they only do a single bike for year round riding.

Here's what I am talking about: https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/spo/d/kernersville-blackburn-trakstand-fluid/7513670989.html If you want to spend more....lots more....there are wheel off "smart" trainers that will simulate climbing loads, etc. and are super quiet.

I have the bike connected to a program called Zwift where you can ride with your friends, people all around the world, do different workouts or training programs, and even races. It makes riding inside fun. Well, bearable. This setup is nice because you only need one bike to ride outside and inside - it takes about 5 minutes to set it set up on the trainer.

Talk to my friend Charles Robinson at Excite Bikes, or John Shanewolf at Trek South, tell them I sent you. PM me if you have more questions.

Attachments

• 20220817_084558.jpg
    20220817_084558.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 5

boike333

So are names like Trek, REI, and Cannondale bad names? Just trying to get a feel for what I am looking for, 500-1000 range.

JustAnotherSquid

Oh and why did you go recumbent vs studio style? I rode one like this at a hotel when I was on vacation but what’s the pros cons ?

I rode regular stationary bikes at the gym for 25 years before buying the recumbent and I was tired of my balls going to sleep during a workout. That can't possibly be good for them.

boike333

I rode regular stationary bikes at the gym for 25 years before buying the recumbent and I was tired of my balls going to sleep during a workout. That can't possibly be good for them.
Haha, well I can’t say I’ve had mine go to sleep during a workout, but…….hahahaha. Got it! No upright machines.