Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

bmart

Prices are surely coming down, and availability is going up. Phew!

Always wanted to ride one of these after having so much love for my 748.

RocketDan

Another option!

Wow that’s a deal

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
So I'm sitting here sipping my coffee and playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands because duh, it's Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. I mean, it's not nearly as good as Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, which is possibly the funniest and best-written game ever, but in 2022 when everything else sucks it's not bad.

Anyway, I find a Legendary (meaning very rare and with the best stats in the game) necklace while out questing:

Bradluck-1.jpg

Now let's take a closer look at exactly what this necklace does:

Bradluck-2.jpg

Wow bmart, who do you know at Gearbox Software? Because someone has your number!

boike333

bmart you I and we’re talking about tires at some point and you said something about the rear creating a “ridge” for lack of a better term. I noticed this on my last tire and I am starting to see it again but only on the right. It’s kind of like a full lean flat spot and then a ridge and then it rounds off to the middle. What does this mean? Am I riding incorrectly?

bmart

They'll only be smooth if you're a slouch like I am. lol

Most folks will create more wear on the front due to trail braking, and more wear on the rear when driving out of a corner. These areas will wear more than the rest of the tire, and you're likely to see it more on one side than the other (I flip tires to help with this). Different tracks will generally cause different wear, as will varying riders and bikes...and setup, etc.

Because you're wearing a relatively flat spot on a curved (left to right) tire, that area will have less rubber on it and hold less heat. It will also create high spots on either side, which will provide less grip than once you get beyond it and onto the meaty part of the tire. Street guys generally describe this as a biek being hard to lean, then getting much easier quickly after a certain lean angle.

Once a rider is getting faster and more skilled, they'll notice this variation in grip and either swap tires (smart people) or continue to run it and learn to manage the difference with body position, varying drive/brake points, and general lunacy (me people).

While on the center, and not the sides like ours, this is a grest illustration of the high points and low points. You can easily see how you could have varying grip available as the tire leans.

1658493879533.png

bmart

Part duex:

Consider tht flat tire won't hold heat in the middle as well as when it was new. Not too big a deal. Now consider where our worn/flatter bits are and how you might manage/change your actions/inputs, to maintain speed while not losing safety. Excellent tools for a rider's toolbox, track or street.

RocketDan

I have heard if several of them letting go of internals. That normal? Or is it just that Dan and Alan ride them hard?

The 2015-2016 R1s have now been found to have weak valve springs. That’s what happened to both Alan and me. This was corrected on 2017 and up models. The springs aren’t so bad that they will all break at some point. But you are starting to see that first gen motor dropping valves with high race/track mileage.

bmart

Does anyone know where the community wheel bearing tool kit is? :)

bmart

Will trade you for ear plugs to test once I source some bearings.