Boike’s and JAS’s (and anyone else’s) random questions thread that doesn’t want to start a new one!

boike333

Because it seems like I never know what I am doing and need to ask experienced people questions!

Dropped the oil in the FJR the other day.
Put oil in new filter and screwed it on.
Drain plug in.
Filled with oil.
Cranked it and let it run a couple minutes.
Turned it off.
Filled the rest of the way to just under top mark on sight glass.
Cranked it again for a few minutes, turned it off oil is sitting at the same spot.
All good right?
Rode to Morganton and back. Looked at the oil level the next morning and it’s over the top mark on sight glass.

WTF? I have a problem with this every time.

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
The R1100S does the same thing. I've been told by people smarter than me (which is everyone har har) that it's due to cold oil getting trapped in the oil cooler.

Measure the amount of oil you put in during an oil change, and then only check level after you've gone for a ride and gotten the engine fully up to temp.

bmart

A lot of oil is in the engine when the level is checked warm. This is pretty normal for most bikes. I use the window/dipstock as a guide, but it will vary significantly by when you check it. When I do an oil change, I never use the window/dipstick. I drain properly and fully and fill with the proper amount. Also, a little difference won't make any difference at all.

boike333

Haha! I am not alone! That is good.
The other thing is this. The trusty manual calls for 4.23 quarts. I put in 4.1. And apparently 4.1 is too much. So confusing.

JustAnotherSquid

If you started the engine before changing the oil, and did not allow it to get fully up to temp (including the oil, which can take a while), then there was probably still old oil in the engine / oil cooler when you thought it was all drained out.

The R1100S is particularly bad about this. I think it has a thermostat in the oil cooler. If you start the engine but don't let it fully get up to temp then it will trap oil in the cooler almost indefinitely and the sight glass will read empty when there is in fact the correct amount of oil in the engine. You have to make sure it was parked after a long enough ride to get the oil cooler hot before you do a change or you won't get all the old oil out and won't put the correct amount back in.

Last edited:

boike333

Thanks for that. Now I know I don’t know how to change oil still. I got it to 3 of 6 bars but I don’t really know what that means. I guess next time I’ll go for an hour ride.

bmart

The reason that so many new vehicles require an enormous amount of oil, is to extend oil change intervals. That oil isn't in the engine at any given point in time, but the oil pan.

boike333

What do you do to get ready for a track day as far as hydration and nutrition. I’ve read some about carb loading and drinking extra water. But is that for me? I’m just going out for fun and education. I don’t really care what my lap times are.

JustAnotherSquid

I don't know about you, but if I don't drink a few electrolyte drinks every day I get bad muscle cramps. Usually in my feet, calves, abs, and/or hands.

That is ESPECIALLY true at track days. I have to drink an electrolyte drink between every single session or the cramps make it almost impossible to ride.

Bodyarmor Lyte is really good stuff but drinking the same drink all day can get tiresome so I also bring a little Gatorade Zero and bottled water to mix it up. My between session routine is bike on stands -> tire warmers on -> gear off -> open a drink and chug it - > give Brad a hard time if he's pitted next door.

As for nutrition, I try to eat light foods. Salads, bananas, things like that. It doesn't always work out that way (Waffle House anyone?) but in general the lighter I eat the better I feel and ride.

boike333

I just do water water water. But I will try some Gatorade this weekend to see if it helps let cramping. My schedule is like yours but I also take a leak at every session too!

bmart

I do...nothing extra. I just drink enough the day prior (not a ton), and be sure to drink at least one bottle worth every hour when there. If you're not peeing, you need more. I don't think I've ever had a cramp at a track day, but I hear about them a lot. I laugh a lot when I see folks who up with a dozen bananas... I suspect from muscle overuse and that we're all just...different. I've done a lot of research and settled on water. Most energy drinks make my stomach sick from the chemicals if I drink them undiluted. I'll occassionally use one at ~1:10 to 1:40 with water.

I eat regular the days before, a bit lighter on the way up in the car and light dinner, and mostly regular the day off. I'm usually starving the day after the track weekend/day.

People's bodies are very different and expecialy succeptible to marketing...so try some things and do what works for you!

JustAnotherSquid

If you're someone that is susceptible to cramps:

Not all electrolyte drinks are created equal. I've done some research and tried almost all of them. (Side note: solving my decades long fight with cramps was life-changing ... and so easy.)

Gatorade, Powerade, etc, are garbage. And yeah, they taste like chemicals. Blech.

Bodyarmor Lyte is one of the best that is widely available and "portable".

The best I've found so far is Ultima Powder. It has a wide spectrum of electrolytes, tastes clean, and one or two drinks a day keeps the cramps away. But, it's expensive and finicky. You have to mix your own drinks and shake them constantly as a lot of it is not well soluble in water. For me, the results are definitely worth the expense and hassle. But it's more for use at home, and not so great to bring to the track.

bmart

That's really interesting info. Fortunately, I'm not succeptible, but surely folks are. We hear about it a LOT ot track events.

For the first time in a long time I mixed some (PowerAde Orange) into water at South, but it was probably 25% to 75% water (they have the best water at VIR!) and had no repercussions...but I also don't think that it helped anything.

Do bananas work for you too? (Is it a potassium thing?) They always made me feel way worse.

AndyMX47

How much time do you have? As a cyclist, ex-cramper, and kidney stone sufferer, I've been there. Bmart and JAS are both right in their statements.

Long story short - you should pee 2.5 liters a day, and your pee should be almost clear. Figure out how much you have to drink to do that. It's more than 2.5 liters. If you really want to know, weigh yourself before and after your "sweat event". Water weighs 7.5 lbs/gallon, and you need to replace it. If you're sitting around at home, it's less water. If you're sweating at the track or in the yard, it's more.

If your clothes and skin are "very" salty after sweating (everyone is different) you need more electrolytes. Not everyone's sweat has the same amount of salt in it. Gatorade isn't garbage, but it has more sugar than you need, and sugar slows the rate at which your body can absorb electrolytes, so something with less sugar will allow the electrolytes to be absorbed faster. The sugar/high fructose corn syrup is what upsets your stomach, but believe it or not your muscles basically burn sugar, so you need it from some source of carbs. Gatorade makes a drink called Gatorlyte that has the electrolytes but way less sugar. You can also make your own sports drinks since they are really just water, sugar, salt, and flavor. They also sell sports drinks designed for endurance sports with different ratios of electrolytes and calories from sugar that will keep your muscles going, but you don't really need those at a track day where you can eat between sessions, they are more for cycling so you are getting your calories while you ride. The current thinking in the cycling world is that you should eat your carbs (for energy and muscle endurance) and drink your electrolytes (the low sugar kind) to speed how your body can absorb the carbs. My son has experimented with this approach on 5 and 6 our bicycle rides with good success.

Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, with about 450 mg each, and are a good source of magnesium too. Believe it or not, you should have something like 3,500 mg a day of potassium, so that would indeed be 7 bananas if that was your only source, but.....it's not. Potatoes have something like 1,500 mg each, but oddly enough you never see someone with a potato in the back pocket of their cycling jersey, probably because they are too heavy and hard to chew.

The sources of cramps have never really been figured out. It's usually some blend of low electrolytes in a person who sweats a lot, over exertion from someone not trained enough, and....being a person prone to cramping.

bmart

And who doesn't like to pee...and also enjoy potatoes. I used to eat them raw all of the time as a kid.

boike333

WOW! Thanks everybody this is all very interesting takes and perspectives.

Anybody do Pedialyte? I’ve heard that is good too?

JustAnotherSquid

Do bananas work for you too? (Is it a potassium thing?) They always made me feel way worse.

Bananas worked pretty well for me, but they didn't completely eliminate the daily cramps and I had to eat five or six a day to have a noticeable effect. After a while I couldn't do it every ... single ... day. Bananas are good but not that good, lol. The drinks are way easier to deal with on a daily basis.

When I say Gatorade and Powerade are garbage, it's because I have to drink way more of them to eliminate the daily cramps than I do of the better stuff (like Ultima powder). And after a while the chemical taste becomes unpleasant.

Hydration alone doesn't work for me. I've always drank enough water to keep my pee clear but still had muscle cramps.

And yes I used to lift weights quite a lot. Several times per week for twenty-five years. I still do but nothing like I used to.

AndyMX47

Water alone won't work for people who have lots of salt/electrolytes in their sweat. Pedialyte is good stuff too! I think my son buys the Gatorlyte powder in little packets so he can mix it one water bottle at a time.

And yep, the reason the Gatorade probably didn't work for you was too much high fructose corn syrup for the amount of electrolyte you were getting, and your body can only digest/tolerate a certain amount of that garbage schtuff. You can "train" your body to digest more sugars, but why bother when you can eat your carbs and drink low sugar electrolytes, which is what you have figured out! One thing I forgot - I buy the powdered Gatorade mix for recovery/rehydration. It is "real" sugar vs buying the liquid Gatorade that is corn syrup. That was I control how strong I mix it, and I'm not drinking high fructose corn syrup, which is indeed garbage.

Water alone on long endurance efforts (3+ hours) can actually flush electrolytes from your body, so I drink fluids with calories, electrolytes and carbs AND eat.

You shouldn't have to go crazy - a banana or two, some electrolytes, some carbs, and a reasonable amount of water (like Brad says, 1 large bottle an hour depending on how much you sweat).

AndyMX47

JAS, perhaps try this as a cheaper source for your electrolytes:

It's for horses, but.....what could possibly go wrong? Super cheap when compared with the stuff for.....humans

JustAnotherSquid

It wasn't sugar. It was something else. I tried Gatorade Zero for about a month. Sugar-free Powerade for less than that but early results were about the same so I lumped it into the same category as Gatorade.