Bias Lighting for Monitors

JustAnotherSquid

CODE NAME: OO-LONG
If you spend much time on your computer, and you have not researched bias lighting yet, click "New Tab" and start doing it now. You can thank me later.

I first heard about bias lighting about ten years ago, but back then the kits were ~$100 and there was no way I was doing that. But now they are ~$15 on Amazon:

IME, everything they claim is true, is true. Significantly reduced eyestrain, better colors, deeper blacks ... it's all there. (Calibrating your monitor is also an amazing thing to do, but that's a topic for later, maybe.)

The kits are just USB-powered strips of LEDs with an adhesive backing, and all you do is trace the strip around the back side of your monitor:

You can power the lights off the USB port on your monitor (if it has one), or a USB port on your computer. If you choose the latter, you will probably have to enable ERP in your system BIOS in order for the lights to shut off when you turn off your computer. You will also probably have to buy a USB extension cable like this:

When the monitor is in place, you can't see any direct light - just the light reflecting off the walls:

Karen was so impressed she insisted I do hers too:

If you even remotely think this can benefit you, do it. Your eyes will thank you.

KrashnKaren

I highly recommend these lights! My eyes don't strain as much and it's more enjoyable to look at images and read text.

bmart

That looks interesting.

Unfortunately, I work off of a laptop for fun, and my work monitor is at the kitchen table...with a wall of windows behind it. I guess that I'm already getting light behind it!?!?!