Anyone interested in a Held Gloves group buy?

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
Jeez that sucks. For what they charge they should be bending over backwards to help. I'm interested to hear how the Klims do.

bmart

Maybe the problem is your hands? lol

The original Phantoms that I run are the only hard armor glove that I found comfortable. The rest sucked, as you're described. They're not worth $300, but perhaps 1/2 of that, so I see your point about $150 for $50 gloves.

Jackets should be easier, but I bought a ton, and returned them all except for the red, white, blue 2-piece Cordura suit you've seen. And it does EVERYTHING. Rain. Shine. Cold. Warm.

AndyMX47

Yeah, definitely my hands. Maybe I should sell those on eBay. Anybody need a hand? Can I give you a hand?

40 years of riding with a zillion different gloves - probably not my hands.

boike333

I ended up not ordering the Klim (milk spelled backwards?) Induction gloves through Revzilla, BUT....I did order them directly from Klim for $139+tax. I wanted to go straight through the mfg in case they are crap. They came in today. Fit and comfort seems good - at my desk. Touchscreen finger tips work. I still can't imagine how these are worth more than $50, but the $50 gloves don't appear to be worth $5, so here we are.

Unbelievably the back of my right hand STILL hurts from the ^$#@!* Held Sambia Pro's. I can't believe the person who designed them ever put them on, the armor was sooo poorly fitted and positioned. Held never replied to my e-mails or messages from their website, and I sold the Sambia Pro's on eBay for a $100 loss.

Next up I'd like to get a mid-weight (i.e. 3 season) enduro style jacket. Wish me luck with that. At least a jacket shouldn't be able to induce months of pain.
Let me know what you decide on. I am going to look at Klim gear for upgrading my dual sport gear.

JustAnotherSquid

As someone that has bought one of almost every glove Held currently makes*, I feel qualified to say both their design and quality are now hit-or-miss. It's not the same Held it was twenty years ago.

But to let their customer service go to shit ... that's not really excusable. Nor is it unique.

*Except apparently the Sambia Pro ... do they make a Sambia Amateur? Maybe those fit better!

AndyMX47

Let me know what you decide on. I am going to look at Klim gear for upgrading my dual sport gear.
I usually fish through Revzilla for weeks looking for something decent, then waste months combing eBay to find it used, then buy it new a year later. Klim, Alpinestars and Revit all seem to have decent jackets, as do some of the folks like Fly, Fox, Moose. Would love to see them in person before buying though. How is a jacket "only" $300 when a pair of gloves is $150?

BTW, I've been test wearing the Klim Induction gloves around the house and they feel really good so far. Hope to wear them in anger on the motorcycle soon. Film at 11.

JustAnotherSquid

I usually fish through Revzilla for weeks looking for something decent, then waste months combing eBay to find it used, then buy it new a year later.

Haha isn't that the truth! I'm rofl'ing!

I bought one of these ... I can't say it's the bestest ever but it fits well and works in all the temp ranges you're going to ride. I added back and chest protectors.

AndyMX47

I bought one of these ... I can't say it's the bestest ever but it fits well and works in all the temp ranges you're going to ride. I added back and chest protectors.

Yep, that one is on the list!

boike333

How’s the protection on it? I tend to not stay on the DRZ at times.

bmart

All of the Cordura gear armor sucks, mostly because it moved around so much. You can wear an armor suit underneath instead...but no one does.

I use fieldsheer adventure tour, Andy. It is by far the best soft gear I've used. Super versatile. Venting. Layers. Zips together. It was pretty cheap when we bought ours on clearance. They likely have a newer version than ours out now.

JustAnotherSquid

As someone that owns an armor suit (who here can actually say that?) the problem with them is that the armor is pressed up against your body. Try riding around like that for a few hours and see how you like it.

The issue with cordura is essentially the same as with leather ... you want it tight enough that the armor stays in place but loose enough that it's not uncomfortable.

edit - also, Fieldsheer went bankrupt, was bought out, and is now a completely different company. This is not a recent event; it happened in early 2020.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

How’s the protection on it? I tend to not stay on the DRZ at times.

I haven't crashed in mine (knock on wood!) so can't give first-hand experience. But it seems as well-made as the other high-end adv gear. Not any better, just as good as.

bmart

I've returned a s%^t-ton of Cordura suits. They're mostly crap with better marketing and gadgets than safety.

boike333

As someone that owns an armor suit (who here can actually say that?) the problem with them is that the armor is pressed up against your body. Try riding around like that for a few hours and see how you like it.

The issue with cordura is essentially the same as with leather ... you want it tight enough that the armor stays in place but loose enough that it's not

So right now I am wearing a armor jacket and then pile on layers or not depending on the weather. Which I might stay with. I really need new pants with some protection more than anything, I also wear the MX boots and knee/shin protection.

JustAnotherSquid

Are you wearing a jacket that has armor, or an armored underlayer like this?

Both KK and I tried two different armored underlayers. We both found they were fine for an hour or two and then started to hurt. So we went back to armor in the jackets (although we still use the underlayer for the back protectors - that part works pretty well).

boike333

I am wearing a Fox armored underlayer. I have ridden with mine for years and can wear it all day for multiple day rides. Never been uncomfortable.

I guess the question for me is, is this safer than a good jacket? If so all I need is some new pants and boots. I might look at the Astars bionic pants as well.

JustAnotherSquid

If you're looking to analyze your current setup, these are the questions you probably want to ask yourself:

Does it offer decent abrasion protection? Not just the material, but the quality of construction as well. Even thick leather does you no good if the seems come apart as soon as you touch the ground.

How good is the armor? Is it CE-approved? (Not that that's the be-all end-all but it's a good place to start.) And if it is, is it Level 1 or Level 2? Which do you feel more comfortable wearing (literally vs figuratively haha).

boike333

Short answer is I need to replace it then haha! It’s several years old, as in 20. So it needs to be replaced anyway. For what it gets used most for I am not as concerned about abrasion in the sand or gravel as much as impact.

Thanks for the link, I’ll look into it for the next 2 months!

AndyMX47

Anecdotal video from a guy who crashed in some Klim gear. They use a ceramic infused fabric on wear areas. Who knows if its better, worse, or about the same.

bmart

There was a great article out years ago comparing materials in a crash. Things to consider are armor, stitching, and material itself.

My super safe full mesh gear had a knee touch down for a fraction of a second on a ride. It disintegrated...I sold the rest of the gear I had made of out of the same material.

20130906_135013.jpg

Terrible fit...

IMG_9872.JPG