For Sale 2001 BMW R1100S ABS ** One Owner!

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
  • I bought this bike new in February 2001 from BMW-Ducati in Charlotte.
  • This is the "R1100SA" model with heated grips, centerstand, ABS, and clip-ons mounted above the triple-clamp for a more comfortable (but still sporty) riding position. And I believe only 200 of these were brought in to the US in 2001.
  • Currently 33,000 miles but will continue to go up.
  • Dealer serviced every 6000 miles with all service records.
  • Full synthetic oil and OEM filter changed every 2000 miles.
  • Ohlins shocks front and rear.
  • Stainless steel brake lines front and rear.
  • Engine is 100% stock for maximum reliability.
  • Fresh Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires front and rear.
  • Custom Corbin seat (and original OEM seat)
  • Tons of extras accumulated over the years like: BMW hard saddlebags keyed to match, Wunderlich tail pack, matching seat cowl, Wunderlich hugger, short and long paralever arms with matching short and long kickstands, both 5.0" and 5.5" rear rims, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.
  • Absolutely no known mechanical problems.
  • $7600.
YgVMlhc.jpg

F9FBy7Q.jpg

Cdhln73.jpg

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Say it isn't so.

I'm not sure it is! This is kind of a "test post" to refine the verbiage and, if I'm totally honest, see how I feel about listing it for sale. It's not listed anywhere else at the moment nor is anyone here going to buy it. :D

JustAnotherSquid

So what are you making room for?

Nothing! The R1100S is irreplaceable! :cry:

I would not feel guilty about stealing KK's F800GT though, since 1) it has been scientifically proven to be the best bike ever made and 2) she stole my 390 Adventure and I'm petty.

RocketDan

I'm not sure it is! This is kind of a "test post" to refine the verbiage and, if I'm totally honest, see how I feel about listing it for sale. It's not listed anywhere else at the moment nor is anyone here going to buy it. :D
How do you know I’m not a buyer?

JustAnotherSquid

How do you know I’m not a buyer?

I appreciate you posting that! It's exactly the kind of comment I need to start analyzing whether or not I can handle selling the R1100S haha. I know you're not supposed to be emotionally attached to "things" in life, but I am attached to this bike. 🤷‍♂️

If I were to sell it, I'd want it to go to someone like you - an experienced rider that will take care of it!

Last edited:

RocketDan

I suggest you never sell it. If you need room in your garage, then just store it in your den.

#WWRDD

JustAnotherSquid

Never sell it.

It's the right answer for sure!

It's not that I need the room per se (although I do), it's that the bike is a bit heavier and a bit less comfortable than I'd like as I get older. It's funny, because twenty-one years ago it was light and comfy, haha!

Servicing it is going to be a challenge going forward since I'm probably not going to darken the door of our BMW dealer's service department ever again. I'd like to learn to do it all myself but we'll see.

Last edited:

AndyMX47

If you want to sell it, sell it. It's just a thing. You had experiences and memories riding it, and those don't go away when it does.

If you miss it, buy a different thing and experience something different. I've enjoyed all the cars and motorcycles I've owned, but I don't "miss" any of them or regret selling them, selling them allowed me to experience something different. I'm totally unattached to my objects. That said, man I have a lot of junk I need to get rid of. And I kind of wish I never sold my 1972 VW Beetle. The hardest sale for me was my RZ350 - I was the 2nd owner. It only had 4,000 miles. My heart sank seeing it roll out of the driveway. But I got over it in a couple days.

Besides, secretly all the machines are out to get us by failing and requiring maintenance. They plot against us at night. The more machines you own, the more likely they are to invade your house and take over. Price it a little high, you might be surprised how much $$$ you get. I'm here to help.

bmart

This is something I struggle with more than other humans, and certainly more than Andy.This is evident by most of my things being old. T-shirts. Socks. Cars. The list is endless. My approach is more around, "can I replace it easily if I change my mind?" The answer is nearly always no, so I keep (and enjoy) old things.

None of us are going to be able to ride or enjoy bikes forever. So, if you like this model, which is already set up for you and which you enjoy, then keep it, regardless of how often you ride it (my CB-1, for instance). If you're just tired of it (you can still ove it and the memores, to Andy's point, then sell it and move on).

I had serious heartache selling my last FJ, and for a VFR, which I never liked very much when I rode others. The first two FJs were easy, as oen was replaced with another...and so was the second with a small detour through ZX-11 and Bandit 1200 mistakes to get back home to my 1993 FJ.

Also, I like to tinker and understand the things I own, so I don't mind that part of it. Others want everything to work every time. This is great, until you're on teh side of the road with no knowledge about how to get back on the road. Priceless, to me.

The cost of setup is also in the front of my mind. Spending what seems like $2k-$4k these days to get suspension, farkcles, luggage, risers, and fix bugs built into every model is too high a hurdle for me. I'm even struggling with that on the yellow bike, cheaping out on fork spring when it really need revalving too.

In my experience, one the shine and new car smell wears off, newer nearly always comes with buyers remorse when chosen instead of a good match for the owner.

AndyMX47

You spelled bmart's countershaft sprocket wrong.

But good feedback as well. Now poor JAS should be all twisted up.

JustAnotherSquid

Price it a little high

Good idea! I jacked the price up to an absurd level while I try to figure out what I want to do.

It's not really about space or money or anything like that. It's just about the R1100S being a 550 pound bike that puts a not-insignificant amount of weight on your wrists and me being 53 years old while, shockingly, getting a day older every day. And also about maintaining a 21+ year old premium bike that, if/when it needs a big repair, has to be split in half. Which, from what I've heard, takes a good six hours to do and then another six hours to put it all back together. And then there's parts pricing and availability...

On the plus side, it's a remarkably capable bike that is light on it's feet (once above about 10mph) and comfortable enough to ride all day (compared to most sporty bikes).

Last edited:

bmart

And I know that you have an aversion to this, but trailering to the fun bits will likely modify your decision.